- Given the problems observed by AAK in Mirzapur in registering work demand and delays in execution and payments, AAK decided to organise workers into groups of 25-30 each in 120 villages and built their capacities. Each such unit is playing a key role in securing the basic entitlements of workers.
- AAK has also established ‘Community Based Information Centres’ in 21 GPs which are run by these workers groups. Work application forms, a copy of Muster Roll (as model to show to fellow labourers), Right to Information application forms, posters, pamphlets and books regarding MGNREGA are now available at these centres.
- By 2009-10 households in AAK’s panchayats were availing 42 days of work in a year, compared to the state average of 29 days
- Savings Bank Account has been opened for 70% of registered households.
- AAK intervened in the planning process and carried out participatory planning in 14 Gram Panchayats. A consensus was evolved after having discussions with the community and the GPs. While planning, priority was given to land and water conservation works targeted to benefit large number of poor and marginalized farmers. The work plans were formally approved in village level meeting of workers before submitting the same to the Block office.
- Construction and Repair of ponds, earthen dams, contour terracing, field leveling, farm ponds, wells and drainages were among the works completed.
The PANI network works with women federations called Nari Sanghs. These Sanghs have been formed in 708 Gram Panchayats across 38 blocks of 9 districts of its operational area. The focus of these Nari Sanghs has been on grassroots mobilization for securing the rights of MGNREGA workers. There are more than 82,000 women members of these sanghs.
- Before PANI began working, no job cards were issued in the name of women, or job cards did not include women’s names. Their efforts have resulted in more than 38,303 women getting job cards. These women also demanded work and obtained work.
- Perspective plans for GPs were not prepared. Now the process has started taking place
- Before PANI’s interventions, there was no practice of written demand for work. Now this has become the norm
- As a result of work demand mobilization, 28,36,085 person-days of work were generated in their operational area.
- Before PANI’s work in the form of Nari Sangh mobilization (December 2007), these GPs had registered only 11 working days under MGNREGA. As of March 2011, the working days were 77, while the UP state average was around 29
- In 210 GPs, proper open Gram Sabha meetings are taking place because of the Nari Sangh initiative; this has improved MNREGA implementation. Earlier, these Gram Sabhas were held on paper
- Around 3,030 women leaders of the Nari Sanghs whose capacities have been developed are in the position of grassroots leadership with a clear understanding of their issues and entitlements. Their block-level Confederation is emerging as a vocal group pressing for change in policy
- Safe drinking water is available in areas of PANI and mates have been appointed by the panchayat. First aid box with adequate material for emergency treatment for minor injuries and other health hazards too have been provided at the work site.
- In the PANI project areas, 1,129 housholds have applied for unemployment allowances directly to the GPs concerned.
Vanangana is working with dalit women in the Bundelkhand region in Chitrakoot and Banda districts. It has been working to set up and strengthen dalit women’s organizations in its operational area for addressing issues of rights of dalit women on forests, land and water, violence against dalit women, technical empowerment of dalit women and literacy of dalit women.
It has trained women mates in a highly conservative area to take measurements for MGNREGA work. These women mates are now working in the selected gram panchayats
- The dalit mahila sangathans are working with dalit MGNREGA workers to create demand for work and open bank accounts in the names of dalit women.
- Vanangana works towards the goal of getting technical work such as measurements on MGNREGA work done only by dalit women. It is also training these women in social audits and vigilance.